122CC - COMMUNITY ARTS CENTER
Arts | New York, New York | Completed with Deborah Berke Partners
This is a classic New York City tale. The original school building, Public School 122, was built in 1894. The school was later decommissioned and became vacant. Sometime in the late 1970's, a group of young visual artists setup art spaces in the former classrooms. Other artists and individuals began to reside inside (and outside) including two avant-garde theater groups (Mabou Mines and Performance Space New York, formerly know as P.S. 122), a daycare, and a men's health center. The New York City's Department of Cultural Affairs eventually joined the effort and provided major funding for the project. The major design challenge of the renovation and new addition, was to preserve and enhance the ethos and character of the building, while honoring the important work being made inside.